November 5, 2019 at 7:30 pm
Speaker: Norm Ullock – Competitions & Judging. An evening with the OCCC Judge Chair.
Norm’s presentation will cover the following:
- Share his insight about the whole competition process including the challenges we face and how we have progressed in the last 5 years and where we are going in future.
- The process judges use to evaluate and score your images
- The objective of judges’ comments
- Engage some of your club members to judge images (Norm will bring these)
- Discuss common errors judges’ find and how to avoid them
- Discuss common errors made by image makers and how to avoid them
- The role of Club Competition Committees
- What members should do to improve so they make high impact images
- Norm will show a few of his own high scoring images from 2019 as examples of what competes well and how he made them.
- Question & Answer time
After the formal presentation, Norm invites 3-6 members to each bring in a jpg image that they would like to submit into clinics. They can use the knowledge that Norm presented to do a joint image evaluation. This exercise is more beneficial to beginners or intermediate members than to advanced members.
Norm Ullock is a member of the Oshawa Camera Club and is a founding member of their Competition Committee. In 2014 Norm initiated the concept of improving the competition & judging process for the Oshawa club. This entire initiative has now become the standard for O3C (OCCC) competitions.
Norm is currently also the Judge Chair for O3C where he serves to bring together O3C member club Competition Directors to share common successes and problems so that all clubs can improve their process for Competition. He has created and implemented several tools and guidelines to assist member clubs.
Norm is also an award winning photographer. He has been OCC Runner up Photographer of the year twice and Photographer of the year for OCC twice. In 2018 he was runner up for the OCCC Open Challenge, Photographer of the year.
Non-members are welcome to attend as Club guests for a fee of $10.00